Sunday, May 27, 2012

April 27th, 2011 - Thirteen Months Later...O to be a funny looking tree!

On April 27, 2011, tornados ripped through my home state of Alabama. Every town in Alabama that I had ever lived in was hit by these deadly twisters, including my current home of Tuscaloosa. Although my home and family were spared the wrath of these storms, so many were not as lucky as me. You cannot drive through many parts of this state without still seeing the massive destruction left even 13 months later. Every day at work at the hospital, I look out a window that faces the destruction of Tuscaloosa and think about what happened that day and how over 50 people lost their lives as a result of the storm. Beside this window is a picture that was taken from the exact location 13 months ago. Those who were standing there watching, say it was headed straight for the hospital but turned at the last minute, giving only a glancing blow. I am left to wonder what would have happened to my town if the hospital had been hit. Tuscaloosa is coming back but there are still so many reminders of that day. I remember going through the damaged areas door to door providing care in those first few days, and those images will be with me for my life. But what sticks with me the most is seeing these huge trees pulled up from their roots and tossed about by the winds. Some trees withstood the winds though, even some that took a direct hit, and I remember wondering why that tree did not fall. Somewhere along the recovery path, I began to feel a bond with some of those funny looking trees. What was so special about the tree that it kept standing? Why was my home and family spared the death and destruction that so many others were facing? I have watched these trees over the last 13 months and have celebrated every new bloom and leaf that has indicated new life coming back. So many of us, whatever we are struggling with, whether it be autism or loss of relationship or loved one, can relate to these strong trees. And as I drive by these special funny looking trees, I pray... Thank you God for my roots. My family gives me strength to make it through every day, and I am firmly planted in God's love. No matter the highs or lows, whatever storm comes for me, I am a child of God and I know that when my eyes close here in death, I will be rejoicing with my Saviour for eternity. Thank you God for my bark. My armour shields me against many attacks, but sometimes, like those trees, the storms take my protection away and I, laid bare, must rely again on you for my protection instead of myself. Thank you God for my new growth. I praise You when the bad parts of me are taken away. Sometimes I have things in my life that although not bad, prevent me from the better plan you have for me, and therefore are necessary to be pruned away. Those hurt deeply, but you rain down new blessings upon me that lead to new growth and a closer walk with You. O, to be a funny looking tree!

No comments:

Post a Comment