Saturday, July 17, 2010

Another child with autism?

When I first started noticing some of the warning signs of autism in my youngest son Jake, I had the overwhelming urge to say, "God, please don't put this on me". Those two seconds of self-pity passed and then I cried for Jake and not myself. I am no longer afraid of autism, as I was when facing the diagnosis with Will. I mourned that my second child would have to face the same struggles as his older brother. God comforted me in my grief and my new attitude about autism was born. My response to the possibility of fighting these battles against autism with Jake also was "BRING IT ON!" and I became the warrior mom. As much as I had learned for Will's battles, I knew I still had more to learn to help Jake maneuver these waters of autism. My biggest fear in the early stages with Will's diagnosis was that God couldn't reach my concrete thinking son and make Himself known. I don't doubt anything anymore when it comes to what my God can do, and if Jake does get diagnosed with autism, I know that God will be glorified through the process. In spite of the autism, or better said, because of the autism, God has great plans for my boys and for me and I trust that He will see those through; and I promise to not get in the way with my doubts and fears. My battle with autism is entering a new phase as I learn more about the therapies for autism and how to bring them to my boys and other wonderful children with autism. God keeps my hopes soaring and my expectations low so that I rejoice in the daily victories and don't despair in the TEMPORARY defeats! Raise your swords fellow warrior moms and let's go battle for our children!! See you on the frontlines...

No comments:

Post a Comment